CONTEMPORARY AMERICAN ART

Friday, February 25, 2011

STUDY OF "MORISOT BY MANET"

BERTHE MORISOT WITH A BOUQUET OF VIOLETS, 1872


Acrylic on Wood Panel - 5" x 7" - ©Bruce Docker, 2010

$100.00







Contemporary American Art
Free Shipping in U.S.

Study of Berthe Morisot with a Bouquet of Violets by Edouard Manet, 1872

Berthe Morisot was not only a favorite model and the sister-in-law
of Edouard Manet, but she was one of the artists in the first
impressionist show of 1874 in Paris. Her work hung along side
Cezanne, Degas, Monet, Pissarro, Sisley and others.
She and her sister were taught by Corot. And, she was related
Jean-Honore Fragonard. What an amazing time it must have
been to be an artist.

The original painting is about 22” x 15” so this detail might be
about 7” x 10” compared to my 5” x 7”. My goal in painting
this was to learn more about painting people. I did my best
to keep the brush strokes as loose as I could and I was
generally successful at that. Working from photos online
I tried to stay as accurate as possible with the colors.

I felt like all went smoothly. I was basically done when I
decided to touch up the mouth. Suddenly she looked
20 years older. Is a slight thinning of the lips all it takes
to age a person that much? The change did not work.
It took me an hour of study before I was ready to start
painting again. Usually I know just when to stop so I don’t
overwork my paintings, but I had no control of myself here.
In the end, though it’s not perfect, I was happy
with the way this study came out.

Contemporary American Art
Free Shipping in U.S.

3 comments:

Sheila Vaughan said...

Manet always did those big currant eyes. He left the impression that we really were looking at wet eyes but he didn't "paint them" that way. Brilliant. You captured the feeling of this Berthe Morisot portrait well. Also love the Modigiani mood in the self portrait below.
Bruce, I really like your people studies.

Dee Doyle said...

Bruce, When are you going to do more people here? They are so good!

Bruce Docker said...

I have a couple of new people paintings to post this week, though I don't think they will be what you expect. They will land on my paintings page before they come here.